I would like to start this blog post by saying that I was
very excited to getting back into the coding aspect of computer science. During
the break, I made several python programs just to test my skills after not
having programmed since 3 months ago. It turns out that my skills were quite
rusty at first but I got back on track very fast after about an hour. This
leads me to express my liking for this week’s course material. I have come to
realize that what I said in my previous blog post does not hold for delta-epsilon
proofs. By that I mean it can be very difficult to pick a value for delta such
that the limit holds for any value of epsilon. In some cases I like being
proved wrong and I was glad to learn that there is much more to proofs than I
had thought right before the break. Also, I would like to state my fondness of
the algorithm analysis that we did Friday’s lecture. It was fun coming up with
expressions for how many steps an algorithm takes and in all honesty, I never
even knew we would do that in this course so I’m ecstatic about it.
In CSC-148, algorithm analysis was much more theoretical and
it seemed as if we simply had to remember the time complexities of different
sorting algorithms instead of derive expressions for them ourselves. Because of
this, I was curious to see the behind the scenes of determining the complexity
for an algorithm and I satisfyingly learned how on Friday. Tutorial this week
unfortunately did not live up to my expectations yet again, and I found myself
quite bored in it. Having said that, the quiz was more challenging than the
previous quiz and proper indentation was required which I was pleased with.
CSC-165 has taken me by surprise this week with in depth
step counting and algorithm analysis and I am glad we have been engaging in this because a few of my future
courses are specifically about algorithm analysis. I would like to end today’s
post by saying that I wouldn't mind more code analysis in class in the future
and that the practical part of algorithm analysis is just as important as the
theoretical part.
No comments:
Post a Comment