Sunday, 3 March 2013

SLOG Entry #5 Week 5


I've been thinking about actual applications about the things we have learned concerning quantifiers and implication over the past few weeks. My question was finally answered on Monday when we began studying how to write outlines for proofs. Writing the outline is a relatively easy task but proving statements is where ingenuity comes in. The proofs we've done so far this week have been simple but I can imagine cases where the body of a proof is difficult to come up with. My enjoyment of finding out that what we've learned for the past 4 weeks is useful information was quickly extinguished by the upcoming test.

First of all, I had a test on Thursday and another test on Friday besides this one. Unfortunately, last semester didn't prepare me at all for this kind of hectic test schedule since the tests were all spread out. When it came time to write the test on Friday, my mind was already on the next test I had to do and also the hectic weather. Furthermore I was surprised to see such a heavy focus on list comprehensions and far less focus on implication. I am certainly not looking forward to getting my mark back for this test and I am striving to do much better on the next one.

In conclusion, this week has been a lesson for me in terms of how to prepare for multiple consecutive tests and it has also made me happy to see the application of logic in proofs. When I've had to prove things in calculus, I was always unsure if the assumptions I was making were allowed and if I had done enough to show that a statement is true. This class, almost halfway into second semester, has proved to be just as important and fun as CSC-148, even though it lacks the practical programming part which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment