In this SLOG post, I will be discussing the thing I was
looking forward to the second week of class: the tutorial. The tutorials in my
previous computer science course CSC148 were challenging and great learning
experiences. However, the tutorial this week was lacking the challenge that I
needed since it dealt with the simple introductory concepts of this course and
therefore I felt somewhat bored during it. Having said that, I got to talk to
people and help them with the content which was quite satisfying and the social
aspect of this tutorial trumps the lack of communication in the tutorials for
my other courses. Overall, the tutorial this week was okay but I hope the next
one will be more challenging.
As for my learning experience, I was introduced to the
ambiguity of the English language. There are so many ways of saying, “if, then”,
that it can be very confusing when translating from English to symbolic
language. Luckily, we went over some of the most popular English ways of making
implications in lecture so I will slowly assimilate those phrases and
automatically translate them into “if, then”.
The other most important topic taught this week which I was completely
new to was vacuous truth. It is basically the idea that if the antecedent of an
implication is false, then that implication is always true. This isn't clear at
all at first, but when Professor Heap made the claim that you can’t find a
counterexample to such an implication, it became very obvious. I find this way
of learning to be very effective for me. First I think of something abstractly
and then a concrete example makes everything clear.
In closing, I would like to say that my goal of constant
learning has been completely satisfied this week and my subconscious goal of
meeting other people has also been attained.
Hahah nice! Yeah, the tutorials will get more challenging, it was only the second week, and the material covered is quite new to most students.
ReplyDelete